- Cotton can be grown in over 73 districts in Busoga, South Bukedi, North Bukedi, Bugisu, Teso, Lango, Acholi, West Nile, Bunyoro, parts of Buganda and Kazinga Channel Regions.
- The Cotton Production Support Program (which is a collaboration between CDO/Uganda Ginners and Cotton Exporters Association – UGCEA) provides high quality production inputs at affordable prices and free extension services to small and medium scale cotton farmers.
- There is some land available especially in Northern Uganda for large-scale cotton production.
- Implementation of the Buy Uganda Build Uganda (BUBU) policy for public procurement of textiles and apparels and Government’s drive towards import substitution will create big demand for cotton which will in turn spur production.
- A growing livestock sector which requires high quality feeds will increase demand for
- Cotton seed cake and consequently spur cotton production.
Possible risks in production
- Climate change
- Competition for land and labour from other agricultural enterprises and buildings.
- Fluctuating cotton prices
- Low level of domestic value addition which exposes farmers to internationally determined prices.
- Inadequate funding especially for cotton research to enable rapid development of cotton
- Varieties and production technologies that meet stakeholders’ demands.