I have been accused of harbouring a hatred for goat, that I do not share enough goat recipes, so I thought I should add this one to the few that I have shared in the last few years. Again, you will notice it is cheesy but, you do not have to blow it off if you are repulsed by cheese. Simply ignore the cheese and keep everything else, you will still end up with a good goat stir fry.
- 1 kg goat meat, preferably thigh
- 3 Tablespoons butter (or vegetable oil)
- 1 Skirt Steak sliced thin *see note
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Cup Carrots diced
- 1 Cup mixed Bell Peppers, chopped
- 100g gouda cheese, grated
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped.
For the marinade
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 thumb size ginger
- 1 litter cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 green chili (seeds removed)
- 2 small (or 1 big) tomatoes
- Blend the ingredients for the marinade and in a blender and boil the goat in the marinade until it is well-cooked and tender. You need to have some water on handy and keep adding as needed to cook the goat until it is ready.
- When the goat is cooked, heat a heavy base saucepan on high heat and add 3 Tablespoons of the butter/oil and sauté the onions followed by the carrots, peppers then season with salt and pepper.
- Add the pre-cooked goat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes.
- Add the cheese and gently toss for another 3 until well mixed.
- Garnish with the coriander and serve with matooke or mashed potatoes.