By Prossy Nandudu
Asher Wilson Okurut, a banana production trainer from National Agricultural Research Organisation Laboratories (NARO), facilitated the training on banana-growing at the seventh edition of the Harvest Money expo at Kololo Ceremonial Grounds that started today, on Friday February 10 and ends on Sunday February 12, 2023.
During the training, Okurut highlighted some of the challenges banana farmers face, including the bacterial wilt disease thatcauses 100% yield loss in bananas. It easily spreads through farm tools, including gumboots, tyres, suckers or seedlings.
Symptoms of banana bacterial wilt diseases
- Male part wilts starting from the tip, upwards
- Banana fingers are always discolored
- Ripens before maturing
- Leaves wilt like have been exposed to heat
- When you cut the diseased plant, stem’s sup turns into some pus like substance
- The ABC Strategy of managing banana bacterial Wilt disease
- Avoid transferring suckers
- Break off the male part (mpumumpu)
- Cut and chop all affected plants for the bacterial to die within three to nine months.
- Disinfect, using heat (fire) or jik.
- Top farmers displayed bananas at the expo