A lot has been said about rearing local chicken, but all we can assure you if you are interested in this enterprise is that it comes with various advantages. Besides the tasty eggs, below are the other merits of this enterprise;
• It takes a short time
• It has quick returns – you brood for only 3 weeks and there is minimum deaths because local birds are more resistant.
• It can be practised by low-income earners using the tradition backyard system of management.
• They are good scavengers, can utilise fodder, so it is suitable for rural areas.
• On the market, local chickens attract a higher price than exotic such as broilers and off-layers, yet they require a less capital investment.
• The can be reared in small spaces around the homestead and are a good way to introduce children to farming.