You want to prepare delicious pilau to wow your family? Here are a few steps you can follow;
- Cooking oil
- Basmati or Super rice
- Enough onions [ cut in the same length to dry well]
- Tomatoes and tomato paste is vital is preparing good pilau
- Fresh ginger and garlic[ crushed]
- Pilau masala from any market or shop
- Water depending on how much rice you are preparing.
Henry Nsubuga, a chef at Pick and Roll Restaurant in Kasanga, Kampala says pilau seems an easy dish to prepare but it never tastes good if one doesn’t know the basics to follow when preparing it.
One of the challenges when preparing pilau is burning onions instead of heating them golden brown and water measurements.
The key ingredients for making pilau. Filed by Rosemary Tukundane
Directions of preparing delicious pilau
- In a saucepan, heat cooking oil on a medium heat, add onions. Stir until they become brown [should not get burnt]. Burnt onions create bad taste for your pilau. Keep adding small portions of water until it turns very brown and soft.
- Add grated tomatoes and tomato paste then continue stirring until the colour is completely brown and attractive.
- Add salt and taste to make sure it’s enough for the people going to enjoy it.
- Add pilau masala and garlic
- Add your rice, 2 cups of water in a half a kilogramme and leave it to boil for about 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and cover the saucepan with a black polythen bag or banana leaves.
- When water completely drains, you can drop rosemary leaves for an extra aroma.
- Your meal is ready to be served. Enjoy!