By Dr Jolly Kabirizi
Diatomaceous earth can be used as a pest prevention remedy, an additive to animal feeds, and as fertilisers.
- Mix the measured amount of diatomaceous earth into the portion of dry feed or you can when you buy a new bag of dry feed. Calculate 2%-5% of the weight of the bag and add the correct amount of diatomaceous earth to the entire bag.
- Be sure to mix well to ensure the diatomaceous earth is evenly spread. Repeat this with every new feed bag.
- By adding diatomaceous earth to the bag, insects like ants and weevils that can get into the feed are deterred as it is like a natural preservative which thanks to its amazing moisture absorbing power keeps feed fresher for longer.
- Every time you feed your cattle, be sure to shake the bag as the diatomaceous earth will settle at the bottom of the bag with time.
- Some cows can be quite picky and sceptical about the fine white power that has suddenly appeared in their feed. Put the portion of feed in a bucket, add the diatomaceous earth according to that potion weight and add a little water or molasses to the bucket and stir thoroughly.
Storage: Diatomaceous earth should be stored in an airtight container. Keeping your diatomaceous earth dry until use will be beneficial to its efficacy and long-term storage.