Coffee is the main cash crop for Uganda, the reason Government has supported farmers with seeds, identifying markets as well as ensuring good prices for coffee and its products, especially on the international arena.
Lutakome Ssentamu, a coffee farmer, says for coffee farmers to benefit more, they should not stop at farming, but rather follow up their coffee to the factory and eliminate middlemen as this will guarantee better returns for their products.
Tips for coffee farmers
- The farmer has to invest in the business while reducing costs to be able to realise profits in the longrun.
- Keep quality crops and add value to the crop to make big money.
- Enterprise mix. Coffee should not be grown in pure stand; it is advisable to grow coffee with other crops such as matooke and beans, but not maize.
Coffee value chain opportunities
- Coffee processing
- Coffee exporting
- Coffee roasting
- Business information services
- Vertical integration; this is embracing the coffee value chain, from a farmer to processer and selling finished goods.